On-line vacancy advertisement:
PhD or Postdoc Position in Satellite-Based Data Assimilation for Soil Moisture Estimation
Our team: http://ees.kuleuven.be/bwb/index.html
Soil moisture is a key variable in the water, energy and carbon cycle over land. The objective of this project is to merge large-scale land surface simulations with satellite-based microwave observations from the ESA Soil Moisture Ocean Salinity (SMOS) and NASA Soil Moisture Active Passive (SMAP) missions, using an advanced data assimilation scheme which corrects for both the random and persistent errors in soil moisture estimates. The improved soil moisture time series will help enhancing subsequent predictions of flooding, landslides, soil and vegetation carbon, deeper groundwater and the atmospheric boundary layer.
We are searching for an enthusiastic researcher with a keen interest in land surface processes to implement advances to a global land surface data assimilation system. You will be part of the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Division Soil and Water Management, at the KU Leuven (Belgium), working under the supervision of prof. dr. ir. Gabrielle De Lannoy.
- Master (for PhD position) or PhD (for postdoc position) degree in Hydrology, Civil or Environmental Engineering, Meteorology, Remotely Sensed Earth Observation, Physics, Mathematics, Computer Sciences, or equivalent
- Experience with data-processing applications such as Matlab/Python, IDL,GrADS, R, or other; interest in (for PhD position) or strong experience with (for postdoc position) programming and scientific computing
- Excellent motivation and grades
- Creative, critical, analytical and innovative mindset
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- For PhD position: PhD scholarship for 4 years; support and training to PhD students through the Arenberg Doctoral School (https://set.kuleuven.be/phd)
- For postdoc position: 2-year position with a competitive salary; support in career development
- Multi-disciplinary and international professional environment
- Leuven is a charming historical university town, located in the heart of Western Europe
Applicants should submit their resume, along with a motivation letter and two names for possible references on-line. The starting date is October 1, 2016. For more information please contact prof. dr. ir. Gabrielle De Lannoy, tel.: +32 16 37 67 13, mail: email@example.com.
You can apply for this job via the online application tool until September 1, 2016: http://www.kuleuven.be/eapplyingforjobs/light/53807202