After 3 years of development, we are very happy to share the news of Sen2Agri system release. Sen2Agri system is a fully automatic production system to produce agriculture information from Sentinel-2 data, with a focus on food security applications. For this reason, the final user meeting was held in Rome at Food and Agriculture Organization and World Food Program. The Sen2Agri project was funded and managed by ESA, and developed by a consortium led by Université Catholique de Louvain, with CESBIO, CS France and CS-Romania.
A very attentive audience at the User Final Meeting, in the impressive World Food Programm conference room
The system manages the following operations :
- Sentinel-2 and LANDSAT 8 data download,
- L2A processing with MACCS/MAJA software (developed by CNES and CESBIO)
- Monthly Synthesis product generation (with a method developed at CESBIO)
- Generation of LAI products (based on a method developed at INRA, France, and updated, integrated to Orfeo Toolbox by CESBIO)
- A Crop mask (issued several times per year), with two different methods :
- without in situ data (method developed at UCL)
- with in-situ data (method developed at CESBIO)
- A crop type product (with a method developed at CESBIO, an early version of iota2 processor)
The scientific work behind the methods was described in a special issue of MDPI remote sensing.
Nous sommes heureux d'annoncer que Theia a mis en ligne 93 produits neige faits à partir de Sentinel-2. Ces produits correspondent à 6 tuiles qui couvrent une partie des Alpes, des Pyrénées et de l'Atlas pour une période comprise entre juillet et novembre 2016. La production opérationnelle devrait débuter cet automne (c'est-à-dire au fil de l'eau), et couvrira une surface plus grande. Nous essaierons aussi d'améliorer les produits grâce aux retours des utilisateurs.
Série temporelle de produits neige pour la tuile 30TYN (Pyrénées)
We are pleased to announce that Theia has put online 93 Sentinel-2 snow products, corresponding to 6 tiles in the Alps, Pyrenees, and Atlas mountains between July 2016 to November 2016. 300 more products should be available next week. The operational production should start in autumn 2017 (i.e. near real time), and will cover a larger area. We will also strive to improve the products based on the users feedbacks!
Time series of available products for tile 30TYN (Pyrenees)
Zermatt is in the corner of the Sentinel-2 tile 32TLS, which is produced at level 2A by Theia. Hence I could generate the snow maps at 20 m resolution for this area (105 dates from December 2015 to October 2017).
Voir en plein écran
THEIA passed two new milestones in this beginning of summer :
- The number of Sentinel-2A Level2A products just passed the 20000 milestone, with the complete collection of French oversea regions, and new sites along the Ganges, Brahmaputra and Mekong rivers. These sites where chosen by a research team from the GET laboratory in Toulouse.
Data are available from https://theia.cnes.fr
Deux évènements à signaler pour le centre de traitement MUSCATE de Theia pour ce début d'été :
Les données sont disponibles sur https://theia.cnes.fr
In the framework of the Pyrenees Climate Change Observatory (OPCC) the Cesbio is contributing to the analysis of the snow cover using satellite imagery. In 2016 four projects associated with the Observatory (Climpy, Replim, Canopee y Florapyr) have been programmed with European Regional Development Funds for transborder cooperation on adaptation to climate change for the next three years .
After having written rather bad news from MUSCATE for quite a long time, I am very happy to send good ones, and I have to restrain myself not to provide news every day.
Here is the number of L2A products we are producing every day. The visible enhanced performance is due to several reasons :
The animation below shows the evolution of Thwaites glacier eastern ice shelf in West Antarctica, from July 2016 to May 2017. I made it with 45 quicklooks of Sentinel-1 radar images processed by the Alaska Satellite Facility and available via the vertex data portal. All images were acquired in interferometric wide swath mode (polarization HH, only ascending passes, path: 65, frame: 914) and projected to ground range.