As every month, Peter Kettig from CNES processed the Sentinel-2 L3A composites of France from the Month before. The full resolution data, and the corresponding data quality masks, can be downloaded from Theia's distribution server at CNES.
If you are not afraid to spend too much time while you have urgent things to do, you may have a look to the mosaic of Sentinel-2 monthly syntheses for each month since July over France. Each monthly synthesis is accessible using the following links :
Or you may also use the nice viewer below (merci Michel Lepage !) to compare with the previous months.
In November, in France, we had a... French November weather, and several zones stayed overcast for all Sentinel-2 overpasses during the synthesis period of 45 days. In that case, we try to provide a value, which is the minimum reflectance in the blue band. Of course this value is flagged as invalid. So the November synthesis is not as nice as the previous ones, due to the presence of remaining clouds. As in October (see below), we now also see artefacts at the edges of the swath.
Anyway, in many regions, the results are rather correct and they allow us to see the changes. Forests are now brown, soils are wetter and darker, winter crops have started, and the highest mountains are turning white.
In October, we had the first the opportunity to observe a neat swath edge effect in four months, near Cambrai, North of France. The Western part of the artefact is browner than the Eastern part. Because of the cloud cover, the average date used in the eastern part is several days before the average date of the western part. , due to the observation at very different dates on each side of the swath. So the only way to improve that with the current method would be to add a third or even a fourth Sentinel satellite.
See it full screen
The monthly syntheses are produced using the WASP processor, which is described here.
By comparing the various syntheses, you will see the evolution of the landscape, generally a little greener in October, but this representation will also help you spot the composite artefacts. These are not very numerous, but you will see them :
- on some web browsers (firefox V58), geometrical differences appear even at a low resolution. Other browsers and versions do not have this defect. It is really not due to Sentinel-2 or Theia products
- above water and snow (we must work on this defect)
- where clouds have covered a place during the whole synthesis period. These pixels are flagged as invalid in the products (but not on the mosaic), and for the mosaics, we provide the minimum of blue value.
- where clouds or shadows were not properly detected by MAJA
- at the edges of Sentinel-2 swath (but the effect is really faint)
- some tile edges in July, due to the fact that Level 3A products were not all generated for the 15th of July, but for dates between the 8th and the 26th. This has been corrected for August and September.